Out of curiosity I typed the word, “Singles” in my browser & came back with about 244,000,000 results relating to the word. Guess what the majority of the sites were? Dating! There is a saying, ” Success = Preparation + Opportunity.” This post will not address dating, but being a successful single business owner. I want to discuss that in-between time! I have found this is the greatest season to seize the opportunity to prepare in every area of life.
If you are single building a home based biz by yourself, I commend you more than you could ever imagine. While I am in business for myself, I have never, ever felt like I’m in business by myself. I have been blessed from the beginning to be surrounded by the most incredible, dedicated & devoted mentors, life coaches & best friends one could ever dream of. I have an equation; 1 x 0 = 16 + 1000’s. This is my support system as a single adult in a professional networking business.
The worst excuse anyone could possibly allow themselves to believe is that this profession is only successful for married couples. I approach it as being enrolled in the most prestigious university ever established! My degree upon graduation? A changed life – MINE! Let’s explore some areas of life that you, like myself, have the potential of expanding. How does this profession prepare you for life in general or even potentially being married? Being immersed in a world-class, ongoing educational training system has allowed me the opportunity to expand my thinking in the following areas:
- Relationships / Marriage: Learn about how marriage should be. This is such a blessing to observe couples who make their marriage a priority. During my season of being a singles director, I studied & taught on relationships. Had I actually practiced this during marriage……Uh… never-mind! Being deluged in a culture passionate about changing the rate of divorce in our nation, has forced me to take this study to an entirely different level. Knowing communication is a huge factor in marriage, I am continually learning how to develop excellent communicative skills. The four personality types + five love /apology languages = how you respond to accepting, approving & appreciating people for who they are & who they can become. I have always loved to talk & loved people. This is totally different! Did you know that listening is an integral facet of communication? Yea, it really is!
- Wealth thinking: Knowing that divorce can occur because of financial stress caused from our inabilities to live below our means, not practicing delayed gratification & having the absence of long term vision, I am getting a well-rounded education on finances. See it’s not merely teaching someone how to make money, but how to keep it & make it work for you that creates wealth. How reassuring will it be to a potential mate knowing I already know how to manage my finances, set & reach goals for rewards & invest wisely. Have you noticed the prices of silver & gold lately? Are you aware of what happened historically when this occurred? Did I ever care before? No! Knowing the pieces of the puzzle conventional education never taught me allows me to feel empowered.
- Politically: The thought of what is happening in our nation politically is not just something I can join a group & picket against. When you are financially stable, independently wealthy, surrounded by a million-strong, like-minded, forward thinking culture of people, you will naturally make a difference. This is often done without voicing your opinion, but letting your light shine before man in living by example. I love the saying, “What you do speaks so loudly, what you say I can’t hear.” Leadership is influence. I am no longer straddling the fence on what I believe politically. I am interested in what is transpiring on every level & am willing to do my part which, by the way, is more than casting a vote during election time. Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely thank everyone for doing that, but freedom ensures a voice not limited to electoral seasons. Do you think a potential mate would feel honored to have a someone who is not oblivious to this scene?
There are so many other areas of potential growth that can take place during your season of singleness. This is the greatest time & opportunity to practice edification & promotion because you are constantly doing so with your mentors. Remember the principle of sowing & reaping? Partnering with a mentor offers a tremendous accountability & leverage system. Everything you partake of during this time, do so with all your heart, for you will reap an abundant harvest! “If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.”- Isaac Newton
I believe building a business as a single adult will be a catalyst for married couples. It will help them be even more determined when they see your success! You will instill hope to an entire generation of single adults, not limited to age or economic status related groups. This season of your life exemplifies community–common unity–because you are continually forced to practice interdependence. I know this is totally opposite of what corporate America teaches, but the results will be totally opposite as well!
I have 3 “IT” factors that I stand by daily while building as a single woman. It was originally reserved for stage, but since all the world is my stage…I will share!
- Subm”IT” to a mentor. Not just any mentor! Find one that has the fruit on the tree, operates with the principles of character & integrity holding the bar high for you. Finding a mentor who will not only love you where you are, but also love you into YOUR future is priceless. Etch goals in stone, write plans in sand & PDCA with them on a regular basis.
- Perm”IT” that mentor to speak into your life. If your mentor is anything like mine, you will have more positive spoken over you than any point in time. Who couldn’t use this? The more you understand the position your mentor assumes in your life, your family, your dream, while it may seem they are strong with their advice, you will embrace it. Remember….the uniform of a leader is thick skin & a soft heart. Permitting your mentor to offer strategies that pattern interrupt the things that are holding you back is vital to your success.
- Comm”IT” to your dreams. “Nothing happens unless first a dream” – C. Sandburg – If you don’t have a cause bigger than your applause, you will never build a biz. If your purpose isn’t bigger than your paycheck, you will never build a biz. Setting a goal to make enough money to pay your house or car note is not big enough. That can be accomplished by working OT or acquiring a second job. Your dream has to be so big, the only way it can be accomplished is to work with others to reach it. Search your heart & find what makes you almost cry when you think about it. This is a great start in locating your passion. Guess what happens? Once you learn the dreams of others & become so determined in helping them accomplish theirs, you wake up only to realize….your dreams have been fulfilled too!! I’ll never forget when that switch was made in my heart. It changed my life. Big dreams are imperative, but it’s extremely important to set dreams incrementally in order to build trust within yourself. Once you accomplish a dream or goal, reward yourself & raise the bar. People quit in life & in business all the time & >90% of the time it is because they’ve never located a dream that was big enough to drive them out of their comfort zone. Complacency will always welcome them home to mediocrity. A great piece of advice….“Build your dream, not your business.” – Laurie Woodward